So that the hamster does not bite when they pick it up, it is necessary to gradually accustom it to this. First, just feed your hamster with your hands. Then put food on your palm so that the hamster climbs on it. Then start gently stroking the hamster on the back with one or two fingers. At the next stage, try to raise the hamster above the surface with the open palm.
When the hamster gets used to your hands, you can gradually try to pick it up.
How to teach a hamster to hands - general rules
Before you begin taming, make sure your pet is not stressed. And in order to tame a hamster was easier, follow a few simple rules:
- When you bring a new rodent home before you tame the hamster, give him a week or so so that he can just get used to the new house and environment.
- Provide your pet with a good cage of sufficient size and other things necessary for a hamster to live comfortably.
- Place the cage with the hamster in a crowded, but not too noisy place, protected from harassment from other domestic animals or from other distractions (especially during the day when hamsters are mostly sleeping).
- Do not bother and do not try to tame your hamster during the day when he sleeps, especially in the morning. The process of taming a hamster to your hands begins only after he himself leaves his house. Waking up your pet is the surest way to make him annoyed!
We teach a hamster to hand
Learning a hamster's hands takes time and patience. Do not rush, skipping the steps below, it will take time to examine your pet and learn to understand its signals. The key point here is to earn the trust of your hamster, he must be sure that he has no reason to be afraid of you. Remember, if you rush things, you will get the opposite effect - your pet will become too annoyed or will be afraid of you. Make sure your hamster is not stressed in the current step before moving on to the next. So, let's take a step-by-step look at how to tame a hamster:
Step one: give the hamster time to settle down in his new environment. Pay attention to how your hamster eats, drinks and plays in your presence.
Step two: spend more time near the cage of your hamster and calmly talk with your pet to accustom it to your voice. Not sure what to say? Try reading the book out loud or sing quietly for your hamster!
Step three: offer on your palm some favorite treat (try seeds, pieces of raisins or other dried fruits). Start offering refreshments through the bars of the cage (if you have a cage made of metal wire, otherwise offer refreshments through the cage door), and as soon as your hamster rushes after the treat, try to put your hand inside the cage. Do not touch the hamster - let him begin to examine your hand.
Fourth step: put a treat on your palm and stick it inside the cage. At the same time, in order to get a treat, the hamster must reach for it, putting a paw or two in your palm. Again, do not force events - let your pet come to you.
Step Five: Put the treat so that the hamster should climb into your palm to receive treats. As soon as he boldly does this (and only then), try to carefully pick up your hamster and raise it. Most likely, the first few times your hamster will immediately jump, but be careful and persistent. Ultimately, your pet will understand that your hands are safe for him.
The time required to achieve the final result - to tame a hamster in his hands, varies depending on his age and personal characteristics. Your pet can quickly get used to your hands or this process can drag on for a month or more.
How to take a hamster in your arms
Even if your hamster is accustomed to hands, he should always know that you are going to take it. Never take a hamster from behind or from above - this is the surest way to be bitten by a frightened rodent. A frightened hamster instinctively defends himself.
The best way to pick up a hamster is to wrap your palms on both sides of your pet so as to prevent it from jumping. So you will protect him from the possibility of injury. Especially at first, it is best to keep your pet just above the knees or other soft surface in case it falls or jumps.
General Taming Rules
Can I take a hamster in my arms? Definitely yes, but only if he is tamed and trusts you. Before accustoming a pet, make sure that he is not in a stressful state and has already mastered the cage. In order for the taming technique to work, consider several factors:
- after you bring a new friend home, give him a few days to get comfortable, get used to the new house, your voice and feel confident,
- provide your baby with comfortable living conditions, complete the cage with everything you need,
- do not isolate the cage from society, place it in a slightly crowded, but not noisy place,
- do not try to tame the jungler in the morning, when his sleep is the strongest, it is better to transfer the "training" in the late afternoon. Waking up a pet is the easiest way to make him irritable and restless.
The method of taming a rodent
Taming a hamster requires patience, attention and systematicity. It is important to learn to understand the pet’s signals, to earn his trust. If in a hurry, you will get a rodent that bites and runs away, because it is afraid of you. While the baby will be afraid of you, you will not be able to make friends with him. Follow the procedure described below and before proceeding to the next step, make sure that the pet has not received stress at the current step.
- Give the baby the opportunity to settle down in a cage, watch how he eats, drinks, plays in your presence.
- Talk with the baby near the cage in a calm voice. Do not know what to say? Sing a song or tell how the day went.
- Put a seed in your palm (be sure to read which seeds you can give the hamster) or a piece of biscuit, dried fruit. Offer treats first through bars or cage door. If he shows interest, stick your palm in the cage, but do not touch the hamster. If he runs away, in no case should you catch him to smell snacks. Just put them in your palm and wait.
- Don’t stop offering your kid snacks, but still don’t need to stroke the hamster. Position your palm so that the baby puts the paws on your hand and reaches for the treats.
- Put the seed so that the baby can take it only after it has climbed into your hand. After he boldly do this, try to carefully take the hamster in his arms. Most likely the baby will jump right away, but be persistent and careful. Over time, the baby realizes that your hands do not pose a danger to him.
You already know how to accustom a dzhungarik to hands, and how much time will it take? It all depends on the individual characteristics and age of the animal. He can get used to the hands of an adult in a few days, but sometimes it takes about a month.
According to the scheme that is given above, you can tame the Dzhungarik and the Syrian. Just keep in mind that the Dzungarian hamster likes to bite. Representatives of the Syrian breed are more calm.
You already know how to tame a Dzungarian hamster to make it easier and faster, consider a few points. Before taking the crumbs, you need to wash your hands with soap, because the sense of smell in animals is better developed than vision. If the palms smell like food, the hamster may bite.
How to take a rodent on the handle?
To make friends faster, learn how to properly take a hamster in your arms. The hamster should always clearly understand that he is being picked up, no matter what breed he is - Syrian or Dzungarian. In order not to frighten the animal, do not lift it from behind or from above - the baby should see you. If the baby does not notice you, then it can be mistaken for a predator, instinctively bite.
It is important to know how to keep hamsters in such a way that it gives pleasure not only to you, but also to the pet. The hand needs to be folded so that a cup is formed or to clasp the baby with two palms. Use your fingers to support the baby - it is nimble, agile and can jump out. To rule out the possibility of injury, first raise the baby over the sofa for the first time. Let the baby climb your hands.
The hamster in his hands should feel safe. To do this, provide him with a little shelter: put the crumbs on one hand, and cover with the other, but do not press. In such a "house" he will sit quietly for some time, even if, as a rule, he is not given into his hands.
If the untamed hamster is afraid, but you need to take it to, for example, clean the cage, put the treat in a jar or box and put it in a cage. Due to natural curiosity, he will climb directly into the trap, even if he does not go into the arms.
Problems faced by rodent owners:
- it’s difficult to accustom a hamster to his hands if he bites, so you need to get rid of this problem along the way,
- if the baby is shy, do not play with him until you tame,
- the wild hamster will make contact faster, if not to make noise, not to make sudden movements, besides cannot be stroked on the head - the animal is unpleasant.
How to handle a hamster?
All rodents can be trained. How to tame a Syrian hamster should know everyone who gave preference to this breed. Dzhungariki and Syrian are equally friendly, they can be tamed at home. The difference is that the dzhungariki are more inclined to bite, some owners at first take their favorites in gloves.
If you started a rodent for the first time, you are probably interested in the question of whether it is possible to take a hamster by the scruff. It is not worth doing this without the need, it does not give the baby pleasure. Such manipulations cause negative associations with your hands. But in some situations, for example when examining incisors, this is a necessary measure.
It is difficult to tame a hamster if it bites, so at the beginning of training, if the baby takes a treat from his hand, try to pet him lightly, but make sure that he does not bite. You need to stroke it with one finger and only along the back, the kids touch it painfully.
It’s hard to say if hamsters love to stroke them. More likely no than yes. Only a tamed hamster will allow the owner to stroke his head, and even then not always. It is necessary to stroke the hamster so that he was pleased - lightly on the back when he is in a good mood. If the baby does not allow himself to be stroked, do not argue, over time you will be able to make friends with the hamster, and he will let you in.
Remember: the younger the hamster, the easier it is to tame it.
But this does not mean that you cannot tame an adult homa, it just takes more time. To make a hamster tame, you need to deal with it every night and the result will not be long in coming.