Vomiting of pregnant women is a pathological condition when pregnant women experience severe nausea and vomiting after the first trimester. Although most pregnant women experience nausea and vomiting in their first trimester (morning nausea), if this continues beyond the first trimester, then this condition goes into vomiting of pregnant women. This condition can greatly complicate your life and reduce morale. If you are concerned that this condition may develop during your pregnancy, then you should know that there are ways to reduce the chances of this condition occurring by changing your diet, lifestyle, and the use of certain drugs. Read on to find out more.
Why and when are pregnant pregnant with nausea?
The appearance of toxicosis is caused by a whole chain of factors: the fetus, attaching itself to the endometrium of the uterus, begins to grow and develop, which causes the mother’s body to have a real hormonal “storm” and affects both its physical and mental state.
In addition, the non-compliance with the pregnant regimen, which the doctor prescribes from the day of registration, is affected: refusal of alcohol and smoking, non-compliance with the sleep and rest regimen, nutrition problems, worries for any reason.
How long does nausea last during pregnancy?
Unfortunately, this question cannot be answered in advance. Have to track in practice. If you have not been tormented by a feeling of nausea when bearing a child - you are a real lucky one. There is no clear term for the development of nausea, but, according to medical statistics, in 80% of cases it appears in the first trimester: from 5 to 12 gestational weeks. In the first weeks, it is considered normal if vomiting occurs up to 5 times a day. In the second trimester, the number of emetic attacks should decrease and, if there are no other ailments, this is not dangerous. If toxicosis does not slow down in the second trimester, be sure to ask your doctor for help, as this is already a bad sign. Vomiting in the third trimester is simply dangerous, and is a sign of gestosis. This is a dangerous condition in which the patient is likely to be put in a hospital under maintenance droppers.
What helps with nausea at home:
Any woman wants to get rid of nausea, but there is no single recipe suitable for everyone. But to say that nothing can be helped is also wrong. Traditional medicine offers a number of recipes that can help in a particular case.
ATTENTION! The use of one or another decoction, tincture, product must be agreed with your doctor. Also, be aware of possible allergies.
Both fresh and dried ginger root will help cope with nausea. Ginger tea bags are not suitable - they may contain flavors!
Do not consume more than 1 gram of spices per day.
- Grate 2 tbsp. fresh ginger, put in a thermos and pour a liter of hot water. Cool slightly, add 2 large tablespoons of honey and the juice of half a lemon. Leave to insist for half an hour. Drink every day 15 minutes before breakfast. If the taste is unpleasant to you - reduce the amount of ginger to 1 tablespoon.
- Serious skin diseases
- Reduced blood coagulation
- Digestive system inflammation
- Tendency to allergic reactions
- Taking drugs that stimulate the work of the cardiovascular system and to lower blood pressure.
Carefully use it for diarrhea and hemorrhoids.
The healing properties of this plant are extensive. A decoction of its seeds can relieve an attack of nausea, and cause appetite. However, there are limitations: an allergic reaction, epilepsy, the threat of miscarriage. Therefore, drink tea with fennel or a decoction of seeds only with the permission of the doctor.
Do not exceed the permitted dosage: drink no more than half a cup per day. Replace fennel with rosehip infusion, cranberry broth and ginger drink.
- leaves of raspberry bushes
- Pour a teaspoon of fresh raspberry leaves with 150 ml of boiling water, leave for 3-5 minutes, cool. Take it throughout the day in small sips.
You can not take a drink with raspberry leaves if the pregnant woman has nephritis, severe liver pathologies, hypersensitivity to the components, gastritis, duodenitis or ulcer, thrombophlebitis. Remember so that tea with raspberries has a strong diuretic effect, and can lead to exacerbation of gallstone and urolithiasis. The daily dose of tea with raspberry leaves should not exceed 200 ml.
- cranberry juice
Cranberry juice is not only a unique source of vitamins and minerals, but also a means to combat toxicosis. The drink contains a large amount of ascorbic acid, which in some cases can cause an increase in uterine tone. But this happens very rarely. But if a woman has urolithiasis, a stomach ulcer, gastritis and lowering blood pressure, a cranberry drink is completely contraindicated.
- Boil 2 cups of water, crush 500 g of fresh or frozen berries, pour boiling water and let it brew. Drink 1 cup of fresh drink 2 times a day. The duration of therapy is a week.
- If the drink from the first recipe seems too sour, try a different recipe. Wipe through a sieve or using a blender 250 g cranberries and lingonberries, put juice in the refrigerator, and fill the remaining fruit with 3 liters of water, add sugar to taste and place on the stove. Bring to a boil, strain and mix with juice from the refrigerator. Drink half a glass a week after meals 3 times a day.
- other means
- Salvation from nausea is a lemon. A slice can be added tea or chewed during an attack of nausea. Lemon water works well: a tablespoon of freshly squeezed juice per glass.
ATTENTION! Do not forget that nausea can be triggered by those smells that you did not pay attention to or loved: rinse aid, perfume, incense sticks. Try to avoid them. Ventilate the apartment more often and walk more in the fresh air. Do not drink too much water, especially on an empty stomach.
How to get rid of nausea during pregnancy with medication?
If simple remedies do not have the desired effect, you will have to take medications. Only your doctor appoints them and only if the woman has severe and moderate toxicosis.
REFERENCE! The symptoms of severe toxicosis are as follows: vomiting several times a day, after each meal, which does not allow to eat fully, severe loss of weight and appetite, the appearance of gray plaque on the tongue, smell of acetone due to the mouth, circles under the eyes, blanching of the skin, severe weight loss , severe drowsiness and apathy, which makes it impossible to fully live.
- Cerucal (metoclopramide). A common antiemetic that perfectly eliminates bouts of nausea and vomiting. However, he also has side effects: the medicine can increase the tone of the uterus, thereby increasing the risk of placental abruption and miscarriage. Additionally, allergies may occur, and blood pressure may decrease.
Additionally, can be prescribed: Teagan, Zofran, Compazin, antihistamines and vitamin complexes.
REFERENCE! If ingestion is not possible (vomiting interferes) - the pregnant woman is put in a hospital under round-the-clock surveillance. Drugs are administered intravenously or intramuscularly. In addition, glucose, physiological solutions, and drugs that restore the water-salt balance are introduced to combat dehydration.
Toxicosis is an adaptation factor, so you should not be afraid of it. It’s unpleasant, of course, to wake up in the mornings and first run to the sink, however, modern medicine and the tricks of our grandmothers always help either remove the lightheadedness or significantly improve the general condition. Take it as it should, because at the end of such a long and difficult journey the most important and amazing prize will be waiting for you - your child.
Causes of Nausea in Early Pregnancy
According to most experts, the slightest changes in the hormonal nature provoke nausea. Risk factors:
- pathology of the digestive system,
- thyroid or kidney disease,
- frequent stresses
- infectious diseases
- poisoning or intoxication.
Also, the cause of severe nausea during pregnancy in the early stages can be the smoking of the expectant mother. And in some cases, this is the result of auto-suggestion. Many mothers build on previous experiences or simply pay too much attention to experiences. Perhaps, in this case, the pregnant woman should visit a psychologist.
Despite the fact that nausea does not indicate violations, you should not consider it the norm. Since frequent and severe vomiting can negatively affect the health status of not only the mother, but also the baby. It is considered acceptable in the morning on an empty stomach.
, , ,
There are many different theories that have tried to explain the causes of nausea in the first trimester of pregnancy. Among them: reflex, hormonal, immune, allergic and others. However, to date, specialists have not been able to find out the exact cause.
The body of the expectant mother is exposed to various irritants from the moment of fertilization. Not all systems and organs are ready to completely resist this and as a result a peculiar response arises.
, , , , , , , , , , ,
Symptoms of early pregnancy nausea
A woman finds out about her interesting position at about 4-5 weeks. At the same time, the first signs of early toxicosis appear. In addition to weakness, constant desire to sleep and irritability, expectant mother begins to worry about nausea, vomiting and exacerbation of smell.
Many pregnant women suffer from nausea in early pregnancy to delay. The reasons for this phenomenon are rather difficult to explain. Perhaps this is due to fear and anxiety or self-hypnosis.
The main symptoms of nausea during pregnancy in the early stages:
- Vomiting Doctors distinguish several forms of vomiting at once:
- easy. It is characterized by infrequent vomiting seizures (up to five per day). During the week, the expectant mother can lose 1-3 kg. Her general condition is normal. Perhaps the occurrence of apathy. Changes in analyzes are not recorded,
- average. The number of emetic attacks increases already up to 10 times a day, metabolism is disturbed. In seven days, the expectant mother can lose up to 5 kg. Pressure may drop, and heart rate may increase. If you start treatment on time, the prognosis will be favorable,
- heavy. This form is accompanied by dizziness and nausea in the early stages of pregnancy. The frequency of emetic attacks reaches twenty times a day. There is a disturbance in sleep, fluid and water do not linger in the stomach. The pregnant woman loses weight dramatically, experiences a dry tongue. A pungent smell of acetone appears from my mouth,
- Dermatosis Cases of its occurrence are much less common. Often it manifests as itchy skin,
- Choking or bronchial asthma. The disease is severe and accompanied by a dry cough,
- Increased salivation. May appear as an independent pathology or with vomiting.
A mild form of nausea does not require treatment and passes over time. Nausea without vomiting may be present in early pregnancy. This happens often on an empty stomach or in the morning. To remove an unpleasant sensation, just eat a little.
However, a number of symptoms stand out that indicate the need to contact a medical institution and undergo an examination:
- vomiting occurs more often 10 times a day,
- fever and nausea in early pregnancy,
- expectant mother is rapidly losing weight.
If these symptoms are present, consult a specialist and undergo treatment.
Diagnosing early pregnancy nausea
It is not difficult for specialists to determine the diagnosis of pregnant nausea. To establish the degree and severity of the disease, the expectant mother needs to undergo an examination and pass tests. As a result, the doctor will be able to establish the bilirubin content in the blood, sodium, potassium, glucose, nitrogen, protein, and protein fractions. In urine, the doctor determines the level of protein, acetone, bile pigments and urobilin. By the level of Ht, you can determine how dehydrated the body of the future mother is.
Instrumental diagnosis of nausea includes:
- Ultrasound Examination of the abdominal cavity will assess the condition of not only the biliary tract and gall bladder, but also the intestines, kidneys, pancreas,
- acidity test. The study will show the level of acidity in the body. If the study showed that the pH of the stomach is not more than 2.0, this indicates the presence of gastroenterological diseases or inflammatory processes,
- esophagogastroduodenoscopy. It is a procedure that allows a specialist to assess the condition of the surface of the stomach, esophagus and duodenum. For this, a special tool is used - an endoscope. It is carried out in case of urgent need.
, , , , ,
Early Pregnancy Treatment for Nausea
Expectant mothers are concerned about the main question, what to do and how to get rid of nausea in the early stages of pregnancy. There are many effective ways to deal with this problem. However, do not self-medicate. In order not to harm yourself and the unborn child, it is better to undergo an examination and follow the recommendations of the attending physician.
Methods for treating early pregnancy nausea
Treatment for nausea involves eliminating the cause of its appearance. Its main goal is to restore metabolism, water-salt metabolism, to establish the work of important organs. Severe and moderate vomiting is treated in a hospital. You can get rid of mild nausea on an outpatient basis.
To eliminate nausea in the evening during pregnancy in the early stages, the diet of a pregnant woman should first be reviewed. Food should be taken in small portions about 3-4 times a day, chilled.
Drug treatment involves the use of drugs that will help eliminate nausea and vomiting:
- Motilium. The drug is used for disorders of the digestive system motility and severe attacks of nausea. It has an antiemetic and anti-nausea effect, blocking dopamine receptors in the cells of neurons. Contraindications: internal bleeding, epilepsy, pain in the abdomen, high blood pressure. According to the instructions, the daily dose of the drug is 1-2 tablets, the reception should be divided into 3 times. Take Motilium after meals,
- Tserukal. Helps to get rid of constant nausea during pregnancy in the early stages. Used with frequent vomiting, nausea, stomach cramps. The dosage is prescribed by the attending physician individually. Since the drug can adversely affect the condition of the fetus. The average daily dose is 10-15 mg 2-3 times. Side effects: dry mouth, weakness, apathy, muscle spasms. If a woman adhered to the recommendations of a specialist and correctly took the drug, as a result, her general condition will improve significantly, intestinal function will accelerate,
- Rehydron Diarrhea and nausea in the early stages of pregnancy lead to the removal of a large amount of fluid from the body. To restore it, doctors prescribe this drug. The daily dose of the drug is 30/60 ml of solution per kilogram of weight. For a liter of warm water, 1 sachet of the drug is enough. It is forbidden to add sugar or its substitutes to the resulting solution, since they will reduce the therapeutic effect. Despite the fact that the drug is safe, it is better to take it under the supervision of a doctor,
- Polyphepan. This is an enterosorbing agent that helps with diarrhea, nausea and vomiting, has a detoxifying effect. It is taken an hour before meals. Pregnant women are forbidden to take the drug on their own. The doctor, having examined, determines the dosage and duration of the course of treatment.
In order to eliminate nausea and vomiting in the early stages of pregnancy, physical procedures are performed. Physiotherapeutic treatment includes:
- Endonasal electrophoresis. For the procedure, vitamins of group B are used,
- Galvanization of the brain.
Carrying out these procedures helps to suppress the activity of the vomiting center in the brain.
The effectiveness of traditional medicine for nausea
To get rid of unpleasant symptoms, many resort to alternative treatment. The most effective means to combat nausea during pregnancy in the early stages of the morning or evening are:
- cranberry juice. To prepare the fruit drink, you need to wash and grate about 150-200 grams of cranberries. Grated berries are poured with boiling water, and boil for ten minutes. You can add lemon juice and sugar to fruit drinks. You should drink the remedy when the first vomiting appears,
- potato juice. Potatoes must be chopped using a blender or meat grinder. The resulting liquid is taken with nausea after eating in the early stages of pregnancy, about 2 tablespoons,
- in order to get rid of heartburn and nausea in the early stages of pregnancy, it is recommended to use pumpkin juice or seeds.
Тошнота ночью при беременности на ранних сроках приводит к нарушению сна и раздражительности. Чтобы избавиться от неприятных ощущений, можно обратиться к лечению травами. Самый эффективный и безопасный отвар мелисы. На 1 л воды используется 6 ст. l травы. Мелису следует залить кипятком и настоять в течение 3 часов.Take a decoction of 0.5 cup 4-5 times a day.
Tea from peppermint (20 g), valerian root (15 g), marigold flowers (20 g) and millennial (20 g) also helps. Pour boiling water over a mixture of herbs (0.5 L) and insist for 3 hours. After tea, you need to strain and take 6 tablespoons three times a day.
Another good remedy that helps to forget about nausea and vomiting in the first trimester of pregnancy is fennel. It improves digestion and soothes the stomach. To prepare the broth, you need 1 teaspoon to brew in a glass of boiling water. After 10 minutes, the broth should be carefully filtered. You can add honey or lemon juice.
Homeopathic remedies for nausea
Many experts prefer to prescribe homeopathic remedies that reduce emetic attacks and facilitate the general condition of the expectant mother. To date, the following drugs are most popular from homeopathy:
- Kokkulin. Pills eliminate nausea and prevent the appearance of vomiting, improve appetite. Two tablets are taken three times a day. The drug has no side effects. Contraindications include individual intolerance,
- Sepia. The drug is based on dried pharmacy cuttlefish ink. The drug is prescribed for vomiting, constant nausea, constipation and pain. The duration of the course of treatment and dose is determined by the attending physician,
- Ipecacuanha. The tool helps to get rid of severe nausea and increased salivation. The drug is taken three times a day. Doses determined by a specialist,
- Colchicum. With nausea from food and chills, the drug is recommended to take three balls (grains) three times a day.
Toxicosis in pregnant women
There are several degrees of severity of vomiting during pregnancy.
Basically, women have the easiest of them - when it occurs no more than 4 times a day. This does not harm either the health of the mother or the baby.
Doctors can only speculate why toxicosis occurs. The most important of them is still considered hormonal restructuring of the body.
How to relieve the symptoms of toxicosis?
Conditions when vomiting literally exhausts you can be alleviated by just changing some of your habits. You need to start with awakening. If vomiting is especially painful in the morning, without getting out of bed, eat something very light - a cracker, an apple and take a few sips of water. After that, do not immediately get out of bed - let the eaten “settle down” in the stomach. At the same time, take a comfortable half-sitting pose, lifting the upper body as much as possible.
During the period when vomiting overcomes, it is very important not to starve and drink enough fluid. It is not at all a fact that at the same time all food and liquid will immediately be asked outside. In such cases, doctors recommend eating only what you really want, but fractionally: quite a bit, but often, preferably 5, 6 times a day. Should be excluded fried, greasy, spicy, smoked - for snacks you need to choose something light fruits, vegetables, sour-milk drinks. Be sure to include vitamins in your diet, first of all, of group B, and especially B6 - pyridoxine. It almost completely eliminates nausea and often prevents bouts of vomiting.
Vitamin B6 is found in whole grain bread, buckwheat, sprouted wheat, potatoes, cabbage, carrots, bananas, hazelnuts, walnuts, etc. Also, during severe toxicosis, it is necessary to eat first courses - light soups and broths.
If fluid causes vomiting, try sucking ice cubes with lemon. Do not drink with meals, but between meals in small sips and little by little.
Aromatherapy helps with nausea and vomiting. The easiest way to do this is to cut the lemon and spread its slices throughout the house. It is believed that it is lemon that perfectly eliminates nausea, stops upcoming vomiting.
When is vomiting during pregnancy alarming?
It is believed that only 8-10% of pregnant women, often experiencing severe bouts of vomiting during gestation, need urgent medical attention.
Usually these are future mothers who, for specific reasons, developed moderate and severe degrees of nausea and vomiting.
- Such a pregnant woman, being unable to fully eat and enough to provide a rapidly growing fetus with valuable nutrients, sharply loses its accumulated reserves, which do not have time to replenish.
- With copious and frequent vomiting, the water-electrolyte balance is disturbed, because of which dehydration and intoxication of the body can occur, and this is very unsafe for mom and fetus.
- Abundant vomiting during pregnancy may not be a sign of toxicosis at all, but acute food poisoning or an acute illness of the internal organs.
Usually in such cases, most likely, the doctor will send the pregnant woman to the hospital for treatment. And, as a rule, at the same time, her fate will be facilitated by drip intravenous administration of the necessary drugs that can stop intoxication and have the ability to compensate for the existing deficiency of fluid and nutrients.
As for antiemetics, doctors treat them with caution and use them much less often because of the extremely high probability of their dramatically teratogenic (impaired embryonic development) effects on the fetus.